Saturday, March 8, 2008

The joy of reading

We have had a pretty eventful day today: class in the morning, than modern ballet, than a wonderful party... so we are driving home, and Gwenchik is exhausted.
Gwen: Mom, I am really tired today, as it was really busy.
Me: And you did really well. I am very proud that you managed to enjoy the day without any hysterics.
Gwen: So to continue to be great, how about I finish reading this story while we are driving and than I get to watch a cartoon of my choice? Of course, tomorrow, and only while the guests are out, as I am really tired today.
Me: That's a deal! But the whole story? (pretty long poem by Pushkin)
Gwen: You know, I am actually starting to enjoy reading, it just takes so long to get to the end... we need to get me new books, so that I do not know the end. This way, all I would do is read! And than you will be able to sleep in the mornings!

..........

Ah, music to my ears. The joy of reading, remembering the rules about watching cartoons -- so all these minor struggles are not for nothing :)

No comments: