Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Secret language

At her Tae Kwon Do class at the end of sparring partners have to bow to each other and say "kamsamida"
Gwen: Mom, I think I am the only one who knows that "kamsamida" means "thank you" in Korean (she picked up a few Korean words from our movies and travels)
Me: Isn't it great to understand another language?
Gwen: Well, actually I do not like when people understand Russian, because than I no longer have my "secret language". And it is so nice to be able to have secrets and only share with chosen few -- makes me feel spacial.
.....
Ahh, in a short time she would probably want the opposite, to blend in, so it is nice that she appreciates knowing another language right now.

2 comments:

Leyla said...

Oh, I hope "blending in" desire never happens... We as parents have to work hard to keep their identity. I know it is very draining but should be rewarding at the end. Gwenchik, dearest, always remember who you are what are your roots..

Roddy said...

Gwen, dont abuse the fact that most of the time people around you dont understand you if you speak russian. A few times I found myself walking behind people who thought no one could understand them, when i could. Imagine their shock when i would butt into their converstation and say "I think i agree with her.."